What You Need to Know About Housing Options for the Disabled

Australia is equipped with numerous housing options for disability. As a person living with any form of disability, you can live in your own home, board or share accommodation with other individuals. Notably, if you are not able to live in a family home or live on your own, you can consider staying in supported facilities or rental houses, where you can receive specialized care.

In Australia, there is a high demand for accommodation for individuals living with a disability. For this reason, early this year the federal parliament of Australia had to review rules that were tabled by The National Disability Scheme.

These rules are tailored to offer an inclusive society where the disabled can also have equal access to services such as housing. The explanation therein detailed the scheme's new approach to specialised housing. The main goal is to offer efficient and sufficient support to individuals with direct needs.

In this blog, you are going to learn more about the different types of housing options for the disabled in Australia

Shared home facilities

An Australian living with a disability can live with others who have the same needs or with friends, where they can help one another with different tasks, share costs and even offer mutual support. At times, disabled individuals are comfortable living with friends, relatives or housemates.


Individuals with fewer needs may opt to live in a person's house in return for washing, cooked foods and cleaning.

Host arrangements

Disability services have also created schemes where expert caregivers are tasked to provide support for the disabled in exchange for a small fee.

Transitional housing

Transitional housing is also another great option for disability accommodation. There is no direct entry for this type of housing because support agencies are the ones who share referrals.

Rent is determined per the guidelines issued by the Office of Housing. Also, there is the Residential Tenancies Act (1997), which stipulates the rights of the tenants and the tenancy agreement.

Specially adapted homes

Thanks to community housing providers, you can get specialized rental homes equipped with medical or disability needs. However, these homes do not offer personal support. Maintenance and housing-related issues are typically covered though.

Moreover, a person living with a disability can get a guardianship order from the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal. This order is designed to help the disabled manage their money and live an independent life whenever possible.